Sunday, February 8, 2009

Biggest Interview Mistakes

After reading an article on the 10 biggest interview mistakes, I thought about my recent Teach for America interview and how that was kinda a disaster. Not only was I overly nervous, but I was unprepared and had no clue what was going on. Part of it was I was nervous about getting lost in the morning city traffic in Charlotte, part of it was I was nervous about sounding doped up on Vick's cough and cold medicine, and part of it was the secrecy of the interview process itself, with the firm giving little or no clues about each of the 5 portions of an all-day interview.

I was not prepared to for the mini-lesson that I was suppose to give because I thought the company was suppose to give us info to prepare the lesson with. And i was overwhelmed with the mock after-school staff meeting, as 4 ladies dominated the conversation. In the one-on-one interview however, I thought I gained traction again toward the good graces of the firm, until I realized that I talked way too much. And after all, I didn't help that I lost my laptop bag in the office either.

Being nervous is definitely normal, but it can destroy one's chances of getting a position. So along with not asking stupid questions, there should be spaces to add "Do not lose your belongings on interview day" and "Do not talk to much either"...because you will not get a job that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment