Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cover Letter Tips

For the most part, I agree with all of the advice about the cover letter presented on the website. I have actually used the recommended format for cover letters in the past, such as for my internship with Rep. Gresham Barrett. However, they did leave out one point that is useful for cover letters and resumes as well: print the document on resume paper, and not cheap, plain paper (if at all possible). I heard this really makes your documents stand out from the rest of the pile of paper. For example, you can go to Wal-mart and buy fine paper for as little as 4 dollars, but there is a better quality paper for about $7.96. The 4 dollar pack as a variety of plain ivory and marbled ivory paper that will make everything stand out.

The one thing that I learned from the website and I am not to sure about is the P.S. note. I really never thought to do that and I equate P.S. lines with personal letters and such, but not for formal business writings. And along with the idea of handwriting it, I wonder how it would change the consistency of the letter's formatting and style?

No comments:

Post a Comment